The Luckiest (Lucky Moon)

The Luckiest - Piper Vaughn, M.J. O'Shea While I enjoyed the others in the series, this book just kept me shaking my head in frustration. Here's why:1. How incredibly unprofessional is it for a health care professional to reveal who his patient is to a friend? I don't care how or why it happened, it did. And it wasn't the first time Luka was guilty of betraying both his famous patient's privacy and his own conditions of employment and ethical obligations.2. Luka isn't a mental health therapist but took it upon himself to act as one for Nick instead of referring him to the actual psychiatrist on staff (who of course, is a homophobic prick even though the reader sees no evidence of this in his treatment of Nick). He undermines the doctor from the beginning.Also, Luka is meant to be the centre nutritionist and exercise therapist but has enough time in his day to have his appointment with Nick, spend time with him in the gym and have lunch with him every day. No wonder the centre looks rundown - there are apparently no other patients.3. There was way too much telling. Nick had his accident, waited for a court date, and was just about done with his two months of rehab 14% of the way through the book (and a fair chunk of that book time was spent on Luka, his dog, his hag, and his mother). I didn't feel the connection between the MCs at all.4. I hated the 'Nick isn't really an full on addict' theme. Nick relied on drugs and alcohol and sex to get him through a day long before the accident (he just hid it well, like a functioning addict does). He went through withdrawals symptoms in the hospital because he was no longer taking the substances his body relied on, was "addicted" to, you might say. If he was addicted to the point of going through withdrawal, well, that's pretty much the definition of addict right there, not someone who's just on a binge. I'm not sure what the difference is between "full on addict" and "addict" but Luka seems to think there is. Nick may not be typically what people think of when they think 'junkie' but the only difference between Nick and that stereotype is money, not how 'addicted' they are. It was something that was mentioned more than once and it really bugged me that Nick's addiction was being downplayed to make him more palatable.5. Luka's 'oh, bless' attitude about Nick. "He's just being an asshole because he's hurting." Maybe, but perhaps he's also just a bit of an asshole.6. Luka's mixed signals: telling Nick not to flirt then telling him he's hot and winking at him while discussing his ass and calling him 'sweetie'.And this was all in the first 20% of the book. Look, I'm happy to shove aside reality and drown in unrealistic fictional situations as much as the next girl, but there is a line and these characters crossed it. As someone with real addiction issues, who is seeing a real psychiatrist because of them (and even though they are connected to food, it's still a psychiatrist I see for them, not a nutritionist), I couldn't get past the overwhelming unprofessionalism of Luka. It's disappointing because I loved the rest of the series, love these authors, and would have liked to read more about Nick, but the character of Luka really made it impossible for me to finish.